Contact Us

ASD Helping Hands

Room 219 Breckland Business Center

Dereham, Norfolk

NR19 1FD

01362 288110

Connect with us

Registered Charity Number : 1175729

© 2023 by ASD Helping Hands.

Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance

Carers allowance is for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person.  
 You do not have to be related to, or live with, the disabled person.   You can get carer’s allowance even if you have never worked.   You are not prevented from getting carer’s allowance if you are disabled yourself and also need care.  
If you are entitled to carer’s allowance, a ‘carer premium’ is included in the calculation of any means-tested benefit you receive; a similar ‘carer element’ is included in Universal Credit.
Carer’s allowance is not means-tested and does not depend on national insurance contributions. It is taxable and counts as income for tax credits.


Carer’s allowance gives you Class 1 national insurance contribution credits.
To qualify
 You must regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who receives one of the following qualifying benefits

  • Disability living allowance care component at middle or high rate only

  • Attendance allowance at either rate

  • Personal independent payment daily living component at either rate 

  • Constant attendance allowance paid with industrial injuries/war pensions schemes

  • Armed forces independence payment

 You must be aged 16 or over  You must not be in full-time education (more than 21hours a week)  If you work, you must not earn more than £123 a week.


You must not be subject to immigration control and must pass the UK residence and presence tests



Make a claim online  
Before you apply make sure you have:
 both you and your partner’s National Insurance number (if they have one)  your bank or building society details
You also need details of the person you care for.

You need their:

  • Name 

  • Date of birth

  • Address 

  • National Insurance number or Disability Living Allowance reference

If you’re studying or working:
You will also need your: 

  • employment details including dates and how much you were paid 

  • course details if you’re studying  latest payslip

  • P45 if you’ve recently finished work

You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months

Published 04/11/2019

Making a Claim

logo_circle_no background
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon