Contact Us

ASD Helping Hands

Room 219 Breckland Business Center

Dereham, Norfolk

NR19 1FD

01362 288110

Connect with us

Registered Charity Number : 1175729

© 2023 by ASD Helping Hands.

Personal independence payment

personal independence payment

How to claim

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

You must be aged 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age to claim.

You must also have a health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months

  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in another EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

The PIP payment is split into two parts: Daily Living Component and Mobility Component. You may receive either or both fo these. Below is the break down of the payments and their rates.

Daily Living component (weekly rate)

  • Low - £58.70 ( 8-11 points)

  • High - £ 87.659 (12 points or over)

Mobility component (Weekly rate)

  • Low- £23.20 (8-11 points)

  • High- £61.20 (12 points or over)

Payments are made every 4 weeks.

To be entitled to PIP you must accumulate enough points based on the descriptors used. The descriptors used are:

Daily Living

  1. Preparing food

  2. Taking Nutrition

  3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition

  4. Washing and bathing

  5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence

  6. Dressing and undressing

  7. Communicating verbally

  8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words

  9. Engaging with other people face to face

  10. Making budgeting decisions


  1. Planning and following journeys

  2. Moving around

For a complete breakdown of the points and descriptors please click here



You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.

Before you call, you’ll need:

  • your contact details, for example, telephone number

  • your date of birth

  • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits

  • your bank or building society account number and sort code

  • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number

  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use the service
Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 7.30 pm

The application process

  1. You’ll be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ form. Call the PIP enquiry line if you need it in an alternative format such as braille, large print or audio CD.

  2. Fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help you. You can also read Citizens Advice’s help on filling in the form.

  3. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form.

  4. To assess the level of help you need, an independent health professional will either invite you to a meeting or ask your health or social care worker for information.

  5. If you’re invited to a face to face assessment, you’ll be asked questions about your ability to carry out activities and how your condition affects your daily life. The meeting can be either at your home or at an assessment centre, and will take about an hour. You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

  6. You’ll get a letter that tells you whether you’ll get PIP. If you do, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and the date it will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support.

The face to face assessment

The majority of those who claim for PIP will be invited to a face to face assessment with a health care professional on behalf of DWP. These Assessments are run by either ATOS or CAPITA.

It is important to take along someone to support you at these meetings. It is important to ensure that DWP has all the correct information from any professionals or family that support you these could be but are not limited to :

  • Get medical evidence from all Paediatricians, GPs, ADHD Nurses, School Nurses

  • Get reports from Occupational therapists, Educational Psychologists

  • Get School observation reports using Specialist Resource Bases, Short Stay Schools for Norfolk, Autistic Spectrum Disorder Specialist support assistance team  

  • Employer reports

  • Letters from family and friends about how your disability affects your daily living and ability to integrate

The face to face assessment will usually last around 40 minutes and will ask you questions on your condition/disability and how this affects your daily living. depending on the claims you may have to have aa physical examination carried out or asked to do some mobility test, you may also be asked to carry out some test to examine your memory and processing abilities.

The health care professional will also be carrying out a Mental State Examination. this will be done through observations and informally. For more information on Mental State Examination please click here

You are able to request a copy of the report from the DWP once it has been completed.

Challenging the Decision

If you do not agree with the decision that the DWP offers you are able to challenge these.

The first stage is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. It is best to do this by a letter explaining why you do not agree wiht the decision and presenting any further evidence that you may have to sui[pport your challenge. Advice Now havea  very nice tool to help you write the Mandatory reconsideration:

If the Mandatory reconsideration still doesn't produce the result you think you are entitled to you may apply to an Independent Panel to view your claim and make a decision., also known as a tribunal.

You must have asked for a mandatory reconsideration before lodging a complaint with the Tribunal service, as instructions on how to do this will be on your Mandatory Reconsideration notice (the letter about your reconsideration outcome).

The Tribunal panel will normally be made up of 3 people. These will typically consist of a judge, a specialist in your condition/disability and another independent healthcare professional.

To find out what will happen on the day of the hearing and how to prepare for the hearing click here

Published 04/11/2019

logo_circle_no background
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon